NO RESPONSE FROM LETTER

The MBTA Sucks Site: For riders -- MBTA sucks because...: NO RESPONSE FROM LETTER
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Brian E. Powers on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 08:52 am:

On Monday, I wrote this note (see below) to explain a customer service problem. Still no response:

Hi,
I'm writing to report a customer service problem at the North Quincy T station this morning. Around 8AM, I entered the station using my monthly "Charlie Card," as I do each morning going to work. After getting inside the station, I realized that I had forgotten an item in my car. So I exited the station to retrieve the item. When I attempted to re-enter the station (on the West Squantum St. side) a few minutes later, my "Charlie Card" was denied because I had used it a few minutes earlier. So, I explained the issue to the MBTA customer service employee who was standing near the T entrance and asked if he could let me through the gate. He said "no," "too bad"---that he wouldn't let me through--- and gave me two options: either buy a new one-time T pass (despite the fact that he knew that I had a monthly pass in my hand) or wait thirty minutes until the card would allow me to re-enter. He said that that it was my fault for leaving the T station and because of that, I would not be allowed to re-enter it unless I used one of those two options. So my question is: Is this what you train your "customer service" employees to do? If I have a monthly "Charlie Card" pass, shouldn't I be given unlimited access to the system? And even if the machines are programmed to deny access to cards that have been used within thirty minutes, shouldn't your employees be a little more understanding of situations like this??
After the incident with this employee, I walked around to the other end of the station and explained the situation to another MBTA customer service employee. Unlike the previous gentleman, this employee was courteous and told me to just walk behind someone else going through the gates. I did this and the buzzer sounded loudly as I entered. I was really surprised that there wasn't a method for T employees to open the gates in situations like this, but I was pleased that this MBTA employee was at least more courteous than the previous one I encountered.
I'm just writing this with the hope that you might evaluate the role of customer service employees in T stations. If they're not standing there to help customers with situations like this, what is their role? As a monthly pass owner and loyal MBTA customer for over ten years, I was disappointed that I was treated like I was committing some sort of crime when, in actuality, I just wanted to re-enter the subway station to which my monthly pass should provide me access. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this issue. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 03:08 pm:

I'd suggest to get a regular ticket and use it as a backup in case that happens again.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.